January 23, 2011

Friends

In Ndola was were Jer and his family had lived, like I have mentioned before. We spent almost all of our time there reuniting with old friends(or could we say our African family). It was sooo good and I miss them already.

14 years ago when they lived there they went to a Brethren in Christ church, and while they were there the church purchased a plot of land to build their own new building on it. It never got built while they were there....but they have now started and we got a tour.

It was really fun driving around and seeing what I have heard soo much about.


This is me after I put sunscreen on Kiera, which I did often she burns easy.

Jer in front of the church building


This is Chipo, one of Derek's friends. He was soo much fun. He likes crazy music tho.(lol)


Mr. Tapula(sp) explaining how the building is going and what comes next. Incredibly smart man....loves to learn.


Jeremy getting creative with Derek's colourful shoes....I like this picture. Jeremy had forgotten how red the earth was there, the picture doesn't do it justice....again tho Jer getting creative....he love photography.

Ok....now this is an ant hill. YES I said ant hill. You couldn't see any ants on it (although I didn't really go close enough to check. They were all over the place, usually this big. In the picture it looks like it has been chipped away...and it has. They chip it away and mix it with water and then make bricks out of it and then heat them up. It is cheaper than concrete but stronger and if they just let it dry. Partially because they heat it up, but also because of what the ants have added to it. There were quite a few "red" buildings made from the ant hill bricks. (if I have that wrong someone please tell me......chipo)


Again Jer's creativity. But it is also the corner of the building that can't be finished until they put in the medal frame that will hold up the tin roof.


Jers dad getting a good view from on top of a wall.


This is Mrs. Tapula(sp). I liked her a lot. She is honest, truthful and accepting. Plus she sooo involved in making her community a better place....what she has done makes me cry.....Love Her.

Two incredible life long friends that can always pick up where they left off...it was soo fun to see.

Mr. T, Derek, Chipo, Mrs. T, and Shupy

These two could talk for hours.

I now have a new part of my family....hehe my African family.
God willing I hope to go back to visit....hopefully with my kids.
I am glad I was given the opportunity to give them a Christmas gift....chickens for their church Christmas party....something soo easy.

3 comments:

Q&L said...

that's lovely, sounds like a great time for the family!

Jess said...

the red earth always took me by surprise!! I wish I had a picture of it so way to Jeremy!

Jen Wilson said...

Okay, so it takes me DAYS to get her and comment apparently. I love your photos! I'm so glad you had such a great time, and got to spend time with all those people.

And I hope you DO get to go back. :)