January 17, 2011

Ndola

Sorry it has been awhile...I have been suffering through a head cold.
It sucks...but here is another one.

Ndola
This is the small city where Jeremy and his family lived for three years of his life.
This post is mostly about where we stayed. I will get into the people and places we went in a later post, it just won't take me soo long next time. We did a lot and there are a lot of pictures soo bare with me. I am not computer savvy soo I am not capable of doing too much at one time.
When we were in Lusaka it was very modern. Not like it is here....but a lot more than I had expected. A lot of shopping, eating out, and cell phones. Ndola is different, they haven't caught up as much yet. Yes the cell phones are every where....very few land lines actually. Very rarely did I see females in pants, not many restaurants, and you had to look really hard to find some shopping stores. Lots of road side stands tho....there were some in Lusaka, but not as much as Ndola. It was slower too. I liked that. I loved it in Ndola and miss it.

This is the street we had to turn down to get to our guest house. They had these cool plants that had a type of cactus like plant growing around it or in the middle of it. They had such character.

This was an "awesome" spider that came to greet us in our room. Our "little" buddy seemed to follow me around all the time....they like me...yes I say they, at least 4 or 5 in that guest house did I see.

Around all the houses and yards were walls. Yes it is a kind of security, and privacy. We have fences here...if you don't have a fence you are seen as kind of out of place....well that is the same there...even if you are not worried as much about security you still have some sort of wall otherwise you just don't fit in. You got very used to it. Wasn't scary or a big deal.
This is a blue head lizard...Jer and his brother wanted to see one really bad. They had a cat when they lived there and he would catch one and play with it until it was dead and then eat it. They look really cool tho.

This is the water supply. This is how you get water pressure. Starts here then goes into a geezer(water heater) and from there goes to where it is wanted. Needless to say the water pressure was not great.

You can also see in this picture that they are building another building with more rooms. The couple that own this guest house actually built the building we were staying in for themselves but decided to us it as a guest house until they wanted to move off of their rural property. It was a beautiful building...I would say the my second favorite place that we stayed other than the spider.


This was the view from the dining room. The dining room did not have any windows, just screens. It smelt like roses...I hate the smell of roses....but everyone else liked it.

I have never seen a papaya tree before. They look sort of like palm trees but with different leaves. It was soo pretty. They weren't ripe tho.

Jer took this pic....thought it was soo cool how there were a lot of trees that had vines growing beside it kind of attached or leeched to it. This one is almost half the size of the tree. Soo cool.

On the out skirt of town...or should I say kind of a new development of the city there was a 65,000 seat football(soccer) stadium being built. It is huge. You could see it from a ways away...we ended up driving by it at one point tho....that's how we got some good pics.

The stadium is being built by the Chinese. They have a big interest in the copper mines. Kind of like bp Biliton has interest in the potash mines soo they sponsor stuff for us. That is what they are doing for them....just think it is kind of weird....they could us soo much more useful stuff. But they are helping in other ways too....they fixed a lot of the roads there.




2 comments:

Jess said...

the blue lizard is very cool!

Juanita said...

That's interesting. World scale politics in Ndola.

And thanks, by the way, I will have nightmares about that spider for weeks now! I am not bothered by lizards, geckos, snakes but spiders. *shudder*