September 20, 2010

Oh Brrrrrr or should I say Bear

We went camping September long weekend.

It was COLD!!

We didn't expect it too be warm but we were hoping that it wouldn't be supper cold and raining the whole time. Well we got there on Saturday morning and it was not hot but kind of warm until supper and then it got cool like it should this time of year.

Then we woke up to drizzle and a couple of things misplaced in two or three other campsites as we filled five. We just kind of wrote it off as it could have been a bear, but was most likely something smaller.

It rained and was cold the rest of the day and we were sleeping in a tent.....FUN!!!
Well in the afternoon my mom and aunt decided sitting in the camper was boring so we went shopping in Kamsack. haha I have also said that shopping and camping don't mix, but when you are freezing in a tent and it is still raining with two antsy kids.....I went to Kamsack.

Well after supper it stopped raining and we had a fire. It was soo nice It actually felt warmer than the night before because of less wind. We were sitting and chilling, when I heard my cousin and uncle yelling about something at the next site..we thought nothing about it until..... my other cousin yelled from the road where she was walking to the washroom, "Dad the bear is on the road looking at me ...DAD...THE BEAR"

Well we all ran to her cause she was freaking out, the guys chased the bear across a couple of our other sites and away. We found out that the bear was about 3 feet from my cousins saint Bernard, and that is way they were yelling. Thankfully the dog slept through the whole thing.

So the scared of bears person that I am... I went crazy cleaning every spec of food up and making sure there was nothing that this bear would want to come and bother us about. I thought I had gotten it all, but was wrong. Around midnightish, I heard a bang at the one corner of the tent, closest to the camper we were beside. I thought it might be my mom moving something in the camper so I just listened. Soon I heard licking and moving of plastic bags. I had shoved our cooler under the camper, thinking how was he going to smell it or get it out from under there. Well he had gotten it out from under the camper, without making it unusable again I might add, and ate almost everything. He didn't like sandwich meat very much.

I sat there praying my heart out. THERE IS A BLACK BEAR NO MORE THAN 3 FEET FROM THE TENT THAT MY FAMILY SLEEPS IN. I prayed and prayed and kept as quiet as possible.
Until a truck drove by and came to a stop. My cousin had gone to see a friend and just pulled in thank goodness. THANK YOU GOD.

The story continues........

At four in the morning my uncle and cousin come walking past our tent. They were coming to check on all the tents. Why I ask.... Well my cousin that had driven in just after midnight was also sleeping in a tent. He also heard something out side of his tent. He didn't do the same as me. He went and took a look outside just to be face to face with the bear. Well he scaled the camper, there was nothing to help him up onto it so he literally scaled the camper, which woke up his dad and he went to check on everyone else.

The bear really liked good host iced tea mix. He liked a whole lot of it. haha.

But yet the funnier part about it is that everyone but my parents, Jeremy,the kids and I, went to go watch the bear rummage through some garbage earlier in the day near the fire wood pick up in the camp ground. Us that didn't go had decided that we didn't need to see something that could hurt us unless it was behind a cage or fence.

It was an exciting weekend and can't wait to do it again next year, earlier in the summer and with no unwelcome guests.

2 comments:

Q&L said...

i think that's the most descriptive threatening bear story i've heard yet.

Jen Wilson said...

Were you at Madge Lake? Noah was born in Kamsack (and Russ pastored a church there many moons ago) and he and his sister both worked at the Bible Camp there.

At least your camping trip wasn't boring!!