November 17, 2010

Normal

i have always known that my daughter was not the most normal kid=
she is small, or should i say petite
it took until she was 8 months old before she was on the growth chart for weight
she was sitting and crawling at 6 months old
she was walking.....NO.....running at 10 months old
opening door handles at 16 months
128 percentile for height at 2 years old
as tall as a 5 year old when she is just about 3

but i thought that everything else was running along the normal line
i think that she learnt her abc's at a good rate and still knows them
she has had no problems at all with having a younger sibling
she has hit everything else pretty normal

SOO here it really is:
is it normal for a basically 4 year old girl to fish for compliments??
at least once a day she says or does something i can tell she does or says very deliberately to me or around me and then she state something like..."i am smart aren't i mom?" "i am a good helper aren't I ??" " that was good dancing wasn't it??" ....and on and on.
sometimes i only get one a day, but the other day i got at least 5 or soo
is this normal???
should i worry about her self confidence
should i worry about her self esteem
should i be stopping her some how
what am i doing wrong
am i doing something wrong

i worry about this because i am afraid that my self esteem or lack there of is rubbing off on her
i know it could happen
just scared for her
and for me for dealing with her
i love her and want her to be the best person she can be......

AAAHHHHHH.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think you're over-thinking it. My daughter did that too (still does really), and I think it's more that they're looking for attention, and maybe even positive reinforcement. I know Jordan loves to do things that I'm doing and she just beams when I recognize and thank her for her help. She loves to wear her beaded necklaces and cute headband (not that she's not still a tomboy), and lots of times she'll put on certain pj's that she knows I like and she'll come running into the kitchen with a big flourish, eager to see if I'll notice her.

Sometimes I think it's because at this age we spend so much time correcting them that we forget that they need lots of positive reinforcement too, so they come looking for it on their own. If you're worried about it, maybe try beating her to the punchline sometimes, and complimenting her. Not just on looks (I'd hate for my kid to think it's all about being pretty), but tell her she's funny, or she does a good job at something, or you love the picture she drew, BEFORE she has a chance to ask you.

Kids are just weird anyway. lol

Jess said...

ya don't over think it too much... try to catch her doing things right and praise her for it!
It is probably just a stage! :) She might just be a kid that needs more encouragement too!